Re: [Mk1] Brake problems update

Jonas Karlsson wrote:

> Well, I don't feel so stupid anymore.
>
> I went home yesterday to check it out and try to bleed it again, <snip>
> and so I pulled up the carpet and yanked out the soud insulation.
>
> EUREKA!! it was _soaked_ in brake fluid. The line had rusted right near the
> front of the floor board...

So _that's_ were the smell was coming from. I had a feeling it wasn't
inside the booster, you would have seen in already by then.

> So now I need to install a new brake line in time for ND. Any suggestions.
> I'm calling Potterman to see if he has any line in stock. Anyplace else.

Kragens (yeah Kragens) in Redwood City had some line on the surplus
table waiting for someone to discover it.  Now I'm not sure it's the
right diameter or what  not but I can check tonight (I need a big pot
for my plant here at work and forgot to go to 'Tarjay' right next door.
I'll check what the Bentley says and let you know.

> The 78 has the lines on the inside of the car. I'm thinking that it would be
> a major pain to pull the new line through the same place, so I was thinking
> about running it under the car. Any thoughts on this.

Better inside to avoid puncture from mishaps like rocks, bad use of a
car jack, etc. Scott Williams, Road Ralley King, moves them inside for
that very reason.

> I'm also planning on
> making it ~5" longer than I need, so I can upgrade to a larger MC later.

> Lastly, The flairing tool I have makes an inverted cone on the end of the
> tube (to seat on a nipple, heh) but the flair for the MC is more of a "dome"
> on the end (to seat in a bowl).  Anyone know where I can get a flairing tool
> that makes this kind of flair?
>
> TIA, again.
> Jonas

Heh, heh. You said Nipple. Heh.

Yep, you want a 'Bubble Flair' tool. Accept no substitutes. (Check the
water-cooled Newsgroup though; I was reading some guy who used your tool
to make a flair and a half instead of using the bubble tool and he says
"No leaks!")

hth,
TBerk