RE: 1.8 16v idle drop

>From: "Gerry Reichelt" <greichelt@mmcable.com>

>   There are a number of interrelated things to look for. 1) Idle speed
>valve
>2) O2 sensor malfunction 3) oily distributor 4) fuel accumulator
>   Try unhooking the 02 sensor to see what happens. Look inside the
>distributor for oily slime crapping out the rotor/posts. I ended up
>replacing all of these.($$$)
>   Gerry

2 other things to check, Injector o-rings and idle by-pass screw.

If the o-rings are leaky they will throw a lot of things off, especially at
closed throttle, when there is lots of intake vacuum.

If the idle bypass screw is all the way in, then the RPM's will drop real
low when you let the throttle close. The feedback to the Idle Stabilizing
Valve is a little slow, so it goes up and down until it stabilizes.

HTH
Jonas