OT -(long) VIRUS - Help me- questions about the worm

I'm not too swift about this sort of thing, but I accidentally opened the
dreaded post that contains the virus. I don't recall it being in any wierd
font,it looked like normal text, and I didn't intentionally open any
attachment. I tried to download the patch, but with no success. Apparently the
machine has been having problems with downloads prior to my opening of the
post, and still does not download reliably. Before I go ahead with the manual
procedure, is there any chance that I might not be infected? I use Windows 95
and Netscape Communicator, and Norton Antivirus 4.0, which has not been
upgraded recently. (It didn't notify me of anything bad yet.)So, before the
hounds of hell are released in my drive at 5pm tomorrow, what is your advice?
Answer off list if you like. Take pity on me, I am from the typewriter
generation.