Questions for any VW guru..

Title: Questions for any VW guru..

 First I want to thank all those on the list that have been helping me
out with choosing an engine for the old '82 I have in the back yard.

 BUT, in the on going saga of finding just the right engine....

 I have a guy who needs to sell his 2L 8V he was rebuilding for his '86 jeta. It is from a '98 golf and has a 1.8 head on it with hd springs and a monster cam. He is offering it

to me at a very good price as it is not quite complete yet.

 1st question:  Having no experience with 2L Vw engines, I know the ABA is the block to use
on a Scirocco.  I have heard mention of height problems. Should I consider any special items that will be needed to mount it in?  I.e.:  will the regular intake man. work or will I have clearance problems with the rain tray?  What about exhaust?

 2nd:  How do I identify an ABA block over the newer block (which I have been informed does not
fit well into a Scirocco)?

 3rd:  What do I do for a distrib?  I know you can use a 1.8L distrib in the 2L block if you do some modifications.  Can someone let me know what mods need to be done?  Also the original '82 comes with a 1.7L first gen hal distrib.  Will this work, or should I grab a whole new setup from a wrecker?

4th: is there any way to identify a cam?

 As a side line.  The engine comes with a super sprint header and resonator.  Problem is: the header is for his '86 jetta.  How much different are the a2 headers from the A1 for the Scirocco?  is it possible to get my local exhaust guy (who does a decent job) bend a new intermediate pipe between the header and the muffler?  Or will the header exit in some place that will not make for a decent exhaust route (i.e.: will it fit around the shifter, etc).

For those interested, if I buy the engine I will probably have a unknown cam for sale cheap. I have talked to the wrecker who sold him the cam (very trust worthy guy) and he says the cam came out of a 2L Jeta that was very nicely done out.  The thing had incredible top end, but it idled very rough.  Problem is we have smog tests here and I doubt that cam will pass, so I need something that will.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Cory