Finished Manual to Powersteering swap (comments)

Well, I got it done last weekend.  With the engine out of the car it was a
pretty easy swap to manage.  Biggest hassle was cleaning up all the goo from
the myriad leaks that the PO had.  We are talking 1/4" to 1/2" think
grease/grime buildup in places.

As I posted about so frequently, my concern and initial problem was with
some aftermarket poly bushings for the rack (which was new from Adirondack
for $109).  After verifying that the brackets are indeed the same between
both power and manual (and obviously the mounted frame bolts are the same
for all Sciroccos), I knew it was the oversized bushings.  Which I knew
would compress a bit once I got the nuts started.  How much I didn't know.

So I put the bushings in a good vice and took a sander to them, taking a bit
off the backsides where they meet the body.  In retrospect I'd take off not
as much as I did, maybe just a millimeter or two.  Nonetheless, there was
still good compression with the bushings and it all worked out well.

I guess this is what can happen with poly aftermarket bushings.  I remember
someone complaining about their A-arm bushings being too big and needing
some downsizing.  Great.  I've got some of those two (BugPack).  Hopefully
that doesn't happen.

At any rate, the steering feels SCWEEETT!!

-Phil