Re: Decked JH vs JH with RD pistons?

>From: "Ben Channard" <zeroid@hotmail.com>

>Hello list:
>	My '81 with stock 1.7L EN is getting near terminal
>snip<
>I'd like to stay 8V while maximizing my
>ease of swap:power:cost ratio as favorable as possible.
>
>1.  Stock JH with a decked head.  I assume that this would be easiest and
>would allow me to stay stock CIS?

Easy, Cheap, decent power. Don't like the idea of decking to 10:1.

>2.  JH with RD pistons.  Am I correct that this would yield a 10:1
>compression ratio, and more power, but necessitating CIS-E and its knock
>sensor?

Yes and no, This is basically an RD motor with solid lifters. The 10:1 1.8l
rocks and is way fun to drive, it's what I have in the 78. You do not need
CIS-E, so the swap is just about as easy as the other suggestion. If you are
always going to run on good 92 octane gas then you don't need the knock
sensor. You can splice it in easily if you want, and it's a good safety net
if someone else fills up with crap gas.

>Will both of these combos be interference type engines?

The RD pistons are interferance, Regular JH is not, but it depends on how
much you deck it.

>Can either get past the California smog referee or are folks letting the
>smog tester think that the engine is stock?

For smog rules, to do a engine "upgrade" you need to take the whole motor
and fuel system as a package. The refs are very thorough from what I've
heard, and check it all out with mirrors, etc. The JH motor came with
CIS-labda, which is what you have in your 81, so the fuel system is the
same. (You might have to use the Jetronic box from a later car, and splice
the wires) Having a Knock Sensor spliced in would eliminate necessary vacuum
lines. Having RD pistons inside the JH block would be undetectable to the
ref.

That being said, the ABA block in the 85, and the RD in the 78 are both not
smog legal swaps. The ABA has an earlier style head, and the RD is running
on CIS-basic. The smog checkers have passed them both just fine without
realizing that there is a difference. They would never pass a referee check
as is.

>Does anyone have a bead on ready to install or rebuildable motors in the
>Los Angeles (Pasadena) area.  Cost is an issue.

No, but you should be able so source out a motor easily. Most junkyards are
littered with JH motors. The RD pistons might be a little harder.

How much are you willing to spend. For about $400, plus another 3-400 in
supplementary install pieces, you can source out an ABA or 3A 2.0l short
block. Save on rebuild costs if you just slap it in.

HTH,

Jonas
85 Scirocco 2.0
78 Scirocco 1.8