Stumped by a Canadian Tire Teenager behind a counter

There I am at the largest Canadian Tire (a wall mart size pep boys for the
american's to imagine this)
and I am here because someone pointed out to me this store has all the parts
for VW's

So I cruise on this beautifull day today was, no snow big sun and +6'c .. I
run on the highway just soaking up the day in...
and exit off the highway and curve right into the store's parking lot (I
really like this location, they have their own highway exit)
anyways... I am having a great day and hoping to come home with parts.

I ask the price of a power steering pump which I need.. 281$ canadian... (yeah
I am still looking for one of these)...ouch!
then I ask for a water pump, again the behind the counter kid answeres they
have numerous in stock for my 85 8v rocco... all excited I ask
how much... 34$.. Great the price is even good... then he looks at me and
asks... will that be an 8 bolt or 9 bolt water pump you have?

<insert dumb look on my face here> ... <insert drama-queen pause here> like
the man has spoken japanese to me, I say .. What?

He turns the computer screen and there... green on black... 40mm 8bolt, 40mm 9
bolt, 30mm 8 bolt and 30mm 9bolt all in stock
and me.... thinking hard, cannot figure out of memory (and I was not going to
try to do this in the parking lot either) how many bolts,
then pausing, realizing I dont even know what size hub my pump has....

I look at him all stupid like... and mumble somethign about " let me check and
Ill be back later" and tail out....

first time... I ever got asked this question about the water pump on my
rocco....I have looked in the bentley,
looked in the haynes and chilton and none of them are able to answer the
question, 8 or 9 bolts, 30 or 40mm shaft.
I know I can manage the number of bolts, but how do I measure the hub ?

any suggestions...

--
Patrick Bureau
1985 8v Titian Red Scirocco