Question about a sensor...

I assume it is a sensor anyway.  What I am speaking of is  located on the
side of the head.  The engine is a Audi 3A 2L block with an 8v head (origin
unknown...i think it is a solid lifter, i will check tomorrow morning).  The
pic is below...
http://www.scirocco8v.com/sensor-1.jpg
The cooling system on my non-expansion tank 1.8L RD engine has a coolant
line going into it at this spot and it has a hydraulic lifter head so does
that make mine a solid lifter head off a VW or is this the audi head?  Also,
what is this sensor for I am having trouble finding out where it leads to?
This car is a wiring nightmare, even worse than my 82 was, pics will be up
soon.  Anyone familiar with this engine at all?  TIA

Jody Bailey
http://www.scirocco8v.com