A/C expansion Valve

Im hoping you guys can help me out.  I took my rocco to my mech. friend to
get an A/C recharge. He hooked it up and  He said there is a blockage in the
line and is most likely the expansion valve.. If anyone has had this repair
done can you tell me about how much it would cost.  And if you have one of
those cool VW CD's can you tell be where the expansion valve is, and also if
you can Email me the schematic view of the area. Thanks alot.

Brian 86 16v