Re: scirocco-L-digest V1 #1706

RE:  Storing auto

Two things to add:

Unless you are using bias ply tires, modern steel belted tires do not get
permanent flat spots.

Take some of that time you saved, remove the spark plugs, and squirt some
oil down the holes.  Fogging oil in aerosol is even neater, but watch out
for losing the red plastic extension wand.  Home depot had some.  While
the sparks are OUT, you can manually turn over the engine with 19mm.  I
usually repeat the oil/rotate before starting the car again in the
spring.  You can even ground out the coil lead and crank, but its best to
have the spark plugs out to avoid loading the bearings with compression.

Worry about foreign critters making a home in your engine/interior, etc.
I've used moth balls near cabin intake and bars of Irish Spring deodarant
soap to deter.

Jam oil rag in exhaust outlet, add s steel pot scrubber if vermin are
consideration, secure with al foil, clamp, to seal exhaust.

If you are really motivated, seal intake side, too.

If leaving on tires, I inflate to high pressure 40-50 psi.

If storage area is not totally secure, its esy to remove radio AND inform
vermin radio is out with signs.

RE:  MKI brake upgrade

If your rotors are warped and you don't want to upgrade, even Brembo
solid discs are inexpensive.  Grey cast iron drills easily.  I've drilled
solids, chamfered with countersink to wear limit, and had grate success
in track events.  BUT, not legal in SCCA stock or SP; wears out pads
faster, and has distinctive swishing sound oupon braking.

HTH,

 --
Brian D./OH
How can you be in two places at once when you're not anywhere at all...