Re: Very high mileage Q's (long)

Ok, reason not to buy:

Rust.  If it is bubbling up now in those spots, where else has the rust
getten into?

For $2000 you could find something better I am sure.

Eric

On Mon, 12 Mar 2001, Joshua Strait wrote:

> In my search to find a Scirocco for my brother, I have come across one that
> seems promising.  It is a 1988 16v.  The only drawback is that it has
> 277,000 miles on it.  The car is in great shape and the guy is also
> including two rust free primed doors, a hatch, another motor with 80,000
> miles, Euro lights, and some other odds and ends.  The car has a header and
> a Bosal exhaust.  He is asking $2000 for all of this.
>
> I am looking for any warnings from people who have experience with high
> mileage Sciroccos or VWs in general, or any reasons why I should totally
> avoid this car.
>
> It has a stock suspension that is a year old, and tires that are basically
> brand new.  The sunroof works fine, all of the power stuff works (power:
> mirrors, door locks, windows).  He said the owner before him commuted 3 hrs
> each day with it, so the miles are mostly highway.  It has also been garaged
> a good part of its life.  There is some bad rust damage on the driver door
> (a hole in one spot), and there is bubbling coming from under the body kit
> at the left rear fender.  Other than that, the only "major" damage is two
> good dents below the rear license plate, like it was backed into something
> (is that expensive?).  Beyond this, the car seems like it was taken care of
> really well.  The leather seats are a little rough, but there are no cracks
> in the dash and it's very clean.  If we get this car, I plan to sink about
> $1000 into it initially just to be safe.  This includes a valve job on the
> 80k engine, replacing various engine gaskets, engine mounts, tie rods, ball
> joints, bushings, etc.etc....
>
> Anyway, I guess I am looking for any reason not to buy this car.  What
> should I look for the next time I see it.  Sorry this was so long but I
> wanted to include everything.
>
> I have a couple of pictures if anyone wants to see.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Josh Strait
> 1988 Scirocco 16v (black)

Eric
Westminster, CO

80 Scirocco (GF's Daily Driver)
81 Scirocco S (2.0 16v swap and complete restoration in progress)
91 Cabriolet (2.0 8v swap and mechanical rebuild in progress)
97 Golf Trek (Parts car)
00 Golf GL TDI (My Daily Driver)

-Kelli Fox