[story] well, shit.

there's tremendous irony in this story..

so, i was at the home depot today to pick up a 2"x8" d.fir beam to use as
an extension to my old drive-up ramps (since the car's front fender and
rear tailpipe touch the ramp before the tires make contact). it was an 8
footer. i pop open the trunk and begin to load the materials through like i
usually do. i thought to myself "self, i should wrap the other end of the
beam with my sweatshirt so that it doesn't scratch the dashboard or hit the
windshield". the beam was sitting on the front center air vents as i walked
over to the passenger side door to lift the beam over it to have it sit on
the dashboard, clear of everything fragile.

as i pulled the beam towards the front of the car, the rear end of the beam
dropped into the trunk.

CRACK

yes, my windshield was fucked up. a very noticeable crack in every
direction that spreads over an 8"+ circumference around the point of contact.

the irony is that the beam was supposed to be used for the benefit of the
car and all projects related to it. and it ended up fucking up my car.
well, that's just special, isn't it? shit. fuck.

so, has anyone ever replaced a windshield for an mkII before? i'm taking it
to the shop, but want to know of others' experiences so i know what to look
out for.