Re: sodium-filled exhaust valves?(OT) safety

In a message dated 3/8/01 11:08:57 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jorel140@yahoo.com writes:

<<  Why do they put sodium in exhaust valves? Does this
 have somthing with cooling? Just came across this in
 the Bentley, along with the instructions not to
 dispose of more than ten at a time in a bucket of water.  >>

  Can't tell you about why it's there (smarter people than I put it there for
a reason), but you definately want to keep them out of water as metal sodium
has a VIOLENT reaction to water. I'm not sure how much causes what amount of
force, but it's possible ten or more could have you pulling fragments out of
your hide.

Carl (trying to resist thoughts of 'experimenting'... trying...)
77rocco
89fox