Re: AND Floor dampening material?

mortentn@mailme.dk writes:

<<  Also, is it important to have the thick under-carpet sound dampening
material lying in the car? I'm talking about the soft (foamy) dark green
material which has a hard board glued to the one side...fills both footwells
and transmission tunnel. Because I just ripped mine out and it was all wet
and broken into thousands of pieces, so Idesided to throw it out! >>

  How important it is for you is your choice, how quiet/loud do you want the
interior? While the foam stuf may be beter for sound-deadening, it also likes
to pool up moisture beneath it and if it's severe, you can end up with enough
rust to stop your car Flintstone style!  I'm not sure when VW got a clue and
started using a felt material for this, but I have found it in an 80. This
stuff is usually thicker and 'breathes' better so as to keep moisture from
collecting.

 <<  - is there any alternatives to this thick carpet or can I live without
it.>>

  Yes and yes. You can find the felt pad in bulk rolls at an upholstery
store, maybe larger auto parts stores, or through JC Whitney. You can live
without the stuff, but again, it's up to you just how loud you want the
interior to be.

 <>

  There are options out there, depending on the level of comfort you're
looking for. Dynamat ( http://www.dynamat.com/ ) has a good range of
materials that you stick to where ever you want to kill noise. Another method
is to a spray can of expanding foam that you can get at a hardware store, and
fill in hollow sections of the car's body. Also, if you find aftermarket
padding too thin, double it up.  When I gutted the interior of my 'rocco,
originally to clean up some rust, I also dug out the factory tarpaper panels
and started laying Dynamat Super (sound and thermal insulation) from trunk to
firewall, hope to finish that this summer. The foam padding was also
wet/nasty, threw it out with the carpeting. Right now the car sounds like my
first Bug, noisy going down the road, but it's a work in progress with only
half the floor covered in Dynamat and a cheap set of floor mats.

  HTH

Carl
77rocco
89fox