Re: Where to get 2.0L block

WaspHwy@aol.com wrote:

> ...where should I look for a 2.0L. block? any particular year(s) or models I should look for?

If you're talking about 8v motors (which I think I recall), then you've
got two choices. You either prepare an ABA from a A3 VW or a 3A from an
early 90s Audi 80.

> once I get the block, what should I do about pistons, rods, etc?

Do nothing. Just install it and be happy. Why fool around in there? What
are you really trying to accomplish, anyway? How much power do you want?
It seems to me like you'd be happy with a stock 2.0l bottom-end, a
ported head, decent cam (I say a g-cam is fine), and maybe a 50-shot of
nitrous.

> also, will I  be able to use my 4-2 early exhaust manifold and TT downpipe?

It'll bolt right up to your head. However, if you use the VW motor
(which is 16mm taller than your existing motor and the Audi 3A) then
you'll have to run a spacer. Or, you can replace your downpipe with a
longer one. TT sells it. If you go with the Audi motor then you have to
buy an adapter to fit your distributor as well as find the Audi
distributor drive gear.

Keep in mind that either motor will be happiest with a knock sensor
ignition. I used to run 94 octane gas without it. Yeah, it worked okay
but things got hairy on hot summer days. It also made more power, so
equipped, allowing greater ignition advance than before.

Finally, regarding the two motor's power output, keep in mind that the
VW ABA makes about 10 more hp and ft/lbs of torque. However, the Audi 3A
is happier at higher rpms. All things considered, I'd pick the VW motor...
--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut

Check out our rally team's website!