Cleaning up the shifting

Well I am picking up the Scirocco this weekend, and my first order of
business is to address the gearbox.  It had incredibly long throws, and
was very nondefined.  I couldn't even find first several times.  I
assume a short-shift kit would help out a lot here.  Any suggestions?
What about hanbdling the mushiness?

Also, what seats do you guys recommend?  I am looking to get a nice
clean Sparco or Momo.  Cost would be the biggest factor, but it would
need to be fairly comfortable, have harness holes and that whole bit.
What kind of price range am I looking at?

Thanks!
Nathan
88 16v
01 1.8T