(Tech) exhaust configurations

So I'm sitting here looking out the window at this newest freakin snow storm
we're getting here in the northeast (I hate winter :-P), and I'm thinking
about exhausts. Now I know it is commonly agreed that the 4-2-1 exhaust
configuration is best. But why? Isn't only one cylinder exhausting at a
time? I'm not suggesting that the 4-2-1 isn't better, but I'm not
understanding the theory behind this. I'm hoping that someone can educate me
in this area. I've got an idea that because of the high speed that the
engine is actually pushing gases out, that there really isn't enough time to
clear the pipe. Is there something that is better than the 4-2-1 setup? Any
help in this area is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Ryan
82 Scirocco GL
90 Jetta Carat Wolfsburg
Torrington, CT