Salvage Title in CA

Tosha,
    Basically in CA, the only thing a salvage title means is that most
banks won't finance a purchase, the registration is cheaper by about
50-80%, and resale value is lower, although once a car reaches about 8
years or so, that point is kind of moot anyways, as long as the car is in
good shape.
     Working in the wrecking yard, we have sold a bunch of "salvaged
cars".  If you buy one from an auction, like Craig said, besides the
normal smog check for change of ownership, you also have to do a light
and brake inspection which costs about another $40.  Then you just
register it as any other vehicle.  The registration anniversary on a
salvaged car is the day that it is resurrected, not the original purchase
date.  Also if a car is salvaged, and you are trying to get it back on
the road, you don't have to pay any of the back registration or
penalties.  We have salvaged 1 or 2 cars for that reason alone, as long
as the purchaser didn't care.
    In CA, there are a ton of Jetta's and GTi's that are salvaged,
because back in the 90's, if it was stolen and the wheels, stereo and
front seats were stolen, the cost of replacement from VW was so high, the
car would get totaled out.  Even with no other damage or things missing
from the car!!!!!!!!
       If anyone is looking at buying a salvaged car, it's not a bad
thing.  Just have it thouroughly inspected by a mechanic before and just
read my first paragraph on what a salvaged cerificate means.  I have a
lot of friends driving really nic "salvaged" cars, that run and look just
fine.
FYI
Ken Weidmann Jr. /Checkered Flag Automotive
619-589-0321
1995 Jetta GLX M3 Wannabe
1985 1/2 Showrocco
1957 Porsche 356A