Re: chassis stiffening: foam in the rockers...

--- Scott Williams <scwillia@genuity.com> wrote:
> Yo, are the rocker panels in the Scirocco hollow?
> They have to be, right?
> I'm considering filling them up with structural
> foam. Some months ago, Sport
> Compact Car injected this foam into their project
> 300ZX's rockers. Once the
> foam hardened, they reported a substantial increase
> in chassis
> rigidity -something that the A1 chassis does *not*
> have in spades. -better
> suspension geometry? -less creaks and rattles? I'll
> take it!
>
> I realize that this is a fairly esoteric topic, but
> you know me. I love to
> push the envelope. Does anyone have any idea where
> to get this stuff?
> Gracias.
> ______________________________
> Scott F. Williams

Funny, I was thinking about this the other day.

1) I gutted the upper floor of our house in an
extensive remodelling effort (for the past year or
so). One of the products I've used in certain areas is
this foam (the stuff I've been using is called "Great
Stuff" (Home Depot. K mart, etc)

2) I've begun prepping the '78 for new paint - lying
on the floor of my garage waiting for chemicals to
dry, I meditated on the chassis a bit to much - the
foam idea was one I considered . . .

I don't know if it's the same stuff used on the 300 ZX
. . .

=====
Mark Peele
1982 Scirocco, 1981 Scirocco, 1978 Scirocco, 1987 Golf GT
http://www.scirocco2.de/mark.htm
Direct Mail: SCIROCCO_GTX@YAHOO.COM
For Sale: Various VW 13" Steel Wheels - free - you haul.
Need parts? try http://www.parts4vws.com/ (Potterman)
or http://www.germanautoparts.com/ (Adirondack)