Re: [A/C] How to Scavenge the Freon?

>I have two A2 cars, both with A/C. One is getting parted out and has
>Freon in it's system.

>The other is mobile but is foaming in the little port window,
 indicating being low on freon. Cool but not Cold.

>I was wondering how I might evacuate the part car's system and use it to
>regenerate the daily driver.

I did this recently with a car that was going to the junkyard.  Here's what I did:

I took an air tank (the kind they sell so you can fill it up at the gas station and take it home to fill the tires) and used a vacuum pump to remove the air from it.  Then, I connected the tank to the high side freon connection on the A/C system.  (this required the hoses that came with the manifold gauge set and some adapter fitting to match the threads on the tank.)

At this point, a lot of the freon flows into the tank.  After the flow stopped, I started the car, turned on the A/C and jumpered the low pressure cut out switch, so the compressor would start.  I saw only a small increase in tank pressure.

Then, I connected the vacuum pump intake to the A/C system and its outlet to the tank, and pumped some more.  (why didn't I just pump it all with the vacuum pump?   My pump overheats VERY quickly working into pressure)

If you don't have a vacuum pump, you could connect a hose from one A/C system to the other and charge it that way, but then you couldn't recover extra freon to use later.

Bill