Re: Need help with strange problem (really long, but please help)a

Check for:
Vacuum leaks
Spark at all four cylinders
Injector spray pattern (if you don't know how to do this, send a message
back to the list and I'll explain)
What kind of new pump did you get? If it's not a Bosch, that's your
problem.
	-Josiah

On Wed, 27 Jun 2001 WaspHwy@aol.com wrote:

> let me start with my car's stats: 84 GTI, stock motor with about 115k on it.
> mild performance mods (k&n, dual out mani, etc...) but the injection is stock
> and the internals are stock. it has new plugs, wires (not stock, accell 8mm)
> plugs, cap & rotor, injector seals, fuel filter, and a good warm up
> regulator, from what I know (bought it used from a lister). the problem is
> about 2 weeks ago, I started to notice decreasing performance, like my timing
> was gradually being retarded. finally, I cranked it up one morning and it ran
> like it was on 3 cylinders. it did this all the way to work, where I left it.
> over the past week or so, I would go out there about once a day to check it,
> and it , and it wouldnt start or it would start, but run as if on two
> cylinders, lots of burping and coughing and shit. so i pulled the plugs
> (which were one week old) and one was ok, two were borderline, and one was
> fuel fowled. so I change the plugs, doesnt fix my problem... so I leave for
> the night, come back the next day, crank it up, and it runs fine. drive it
> around the block, runs fine, but I pull up to a stop sign, and it dies.
> starts right back up, but it wont idle. so I drive it back to the garage (my
> work) and my boss gets under the car while I am in it and says that I need a
> fuel pump, mine is running intermittantly. so I say, cool, get the new pump,
> put it on, cranks up, idles fine... for about 2 minutes, then it dies. so I
> drive it around the block and notice when I lift off the gas in a gear, I
> dont get the usual burbly overrun. it is just smooth, no pops or backfires or
> anything. and it wont idle. if anybody can help, I would really appreciate
> it. sorry for wasting so much space,
>
> mark

'87 5KCSTQW
'84 GTi