Re: stuck in 4th

My 16v pickup used to do this...   but not when driving "nice and easy"  :)

If I was romping on it, it would stick in 3rd gear.  No matter what I did it
wouldn't come out.  The only solution was to get the truck rolling again
(clutch abuse) and at around 2500 rpms, get on and off the gas while gently
pulling on the shifter.  Once you get the load just right, it would pop out.

Best I could figure was that there was a worn bearing or bushing on the end
of the shaft that 3rd gear is on.  When I applied power, the gears would try
to "walk apart" and then the coupling collar couldn't slide off.  This is
pure theory, based on my knowledge of american transmissions.  Not sure if
it's even possible in a Vdub tranny

Go give it a try

John