Re: where do i get the lighted 16v key?

Any reputable Locksmith should be able to cut a key from the "key Code" which is on your origial keys. I also understand that this code is on the driver's door handle (you can see it once you remove the handle from the car) IF the handle are original.

I don't know about using the VIN to rekey your car. I suppose it could be done, but if you accurately explained what you wanted to the dealer, try another one in your area.

BTW, Locksmiths always whine about cutting the lighted keys (they are metal as opposed to alloy). Apparently their cutting wheels cost in the neighborhood of $200. The metal keys drastically reduce the life of that wheel.

Diamond Dave
88 Scirocco
84 Jetta GLI
Portland, OR