Re: [tech]removing small gauge faces/glass...

At 10:17 PM -0700 6/21/01, Joe Doty wrote:
>Am I asking for trouble?  I nearly destroyed an old oil temp gauge
>trying to get the glass part off of it, I just wanted to swap a
>broken one for a good one.  Is this hard or what?  Has anyone ever
>done it successfully?

Yes, several times. It takes patience and will have some rough edges.

The best way I found is to get a small, flat blade screwdriver, and
work it behind the flanged part of the metal surrounding the glass
face, from the back of the gauge, and start slowly twisting it off
the plastic.  Go slow, do small turns, don't push so hard that you
crack the plastic housing.  It may take a couple of times around the
face to get it pried up enough to come off.

I did it with my 3 gauge panel in my Convertible to do gauge faces,
and did a couple for practice.  You will probably end up cracking the
edge the metal face wraps around some, but if you do it slowly you
won't destroy the whole thing.

To replace it, fit it back on, then begin pushing the metal down to
wrap back around the plastic, again, do it in small, gentle steps.
Consider touching up the edges with black paint since it does tend to
get somewhat chewed up, but at least on a Convertible 3-gauge panel,
it's hidden.

If these directions aren't clear, I've got an extra here I can take a
couple of pictures of and show you what I'm talking about

| Jim Jarrett,Rochester NY      '93 Passat GLX, '84 Scirocco    |
| mailto:jarrett@rpa.net         '81 Rabbit Convertible 16v     |