Re: [tech]removing small gauge faces/glass...

It is a bit of a PITA, well actually a real pain, but definately do-able.  I
removed mine on my volt meter to put a white gauge face from Mr. Brett V.  A
link below is the proof...As you can tell by the pic, after the front is
installed again, you can not even tell I took it apart.
http://www.scirocco8v.com/images/volt.jpg
The first time I did it, I didn't even break anything.  Here is a short
explanation, if you have any questions, fire away.

At the back of the black ring, use a small flat head screwdriver and wedge
it under the lip of the ring.  It is just crimped down and you might have to
scrap a bit of the white plastic away to get the tip under.  Once you have
the tip under just slighty and slowly twist the screwdriver to pry the metal
up.  It is pretty thin and therefor soft so it will pry quite easily.
Remember to listen carefully to the plastic as your trying to get under the
metal ring becasue if you put to much force wedging it in you can and will
break/crack the plastic housing.  When you twist the scredriver it will pry
the metal edge up but make sure not bend it up past the  "apex" of the metal
ring otherwise the ring will then look all warped around the edge.  When you
have the first width of the srewdriver pryed up just a bit, slide the tip
down the width (about a mm) of the screwdriver tip you are using and repeat.
Continue doing this all the way around the face.  Should be quite a bit of
little prys to get it all up (thats the PITA part) Remember, take your time
as you go around and pry little bits at a time, about 1mm at a time.

Once you have the edge bent up all the way around, the front should just
pull off.  Have your way with the gauge and installation (as the Bently
quite often says..) is reverse of removal.  BUt I have a little tip.  While
you have that metal ring out, if yours is a bit scratched as mine was, re
paint it with model paint or spray paint.  When your ready to put the face
back on use needle nose pliers and a cloth or rag so you dont scratch the
crap out of that newly painted metal ring.  Remeber, the back edge of the
ring (from the "apex" down to the back can be all bent because you don't see
anything past the apex). WIth the cloth in between the needle nose pliers
and the metal ring slowly, gently, bend the edge you just pryed up, down
with the pliers.  Going bit by bit as many times as you lifted till you get
a nice snug fit.

Once again, any questions, just ask and if you are still not confortable
with doing it...you can ship the gauge to me and I will do what you want for
you.  I am the type of guy who loves to do these lttle tweeks to things for
that ultra custom look.  All the gauges in my interior are black on white
with red lighting.  Even my HVAC controls which glow red as well as
intsrument cluster. HTH

Jody Bailey
http://www.scirocco8v.com

You just have to be very very careful and take your time.