Broken handbrake (8V/drums)

Just got home, pulled the handbrake lever & felt some resistance, then it
went totally loose. I suspect some part of the lever has broken off, but I'm
not investigating now because it's 12:40am, dark (obviously) & I need
sleep... is there any part of the linkage/lever that's prone to breaking in
this way?

Maybe all will become clear in daylight, but I'm hoping maybe someone's BTDT
on this...

BTW, the clattering noise I was getting from the drivetrain went away a week
or so after I changed the trans oil. Can't hear it with the radio off &
windows up anyway. Haven't had time to do the CV's etc yet...

TIA,

Stuart
'88 GTX 8V