Rieger reactions...

List members, Scott send me this email, figured i'd reply to both him and the list so the rest of
you guys know how it is.
Heres some of my experiences so far driving around a fluorescent green rieger:
1. Car sitting in driveway, people walking around neighborhood stop at opposite corner, point a bit,
talk about if for 5 minutes, then finally a voted representative comes over and asks 'i like it, but
what the heck is it???' (i have no rear badges). From that point its an explanation of how to
pronounce 'scirocco'.
2. Driving at night, some drunk guys in a pickup pull up to me at a light, (drunk) passenger asks
"does it go fast?", light turns green, truck peels off, hauls ass off in the distance (i opt not to
compete), gaining alot of speed so they run into some pole that much harder :).
3. Parking at general places, wal-mart, the mall, etc: car is a big hit with the younger crowd. when
i was that age i didnt know what a '1/4 mile time' was, yet all of these kids sure do, and dont
hesitate to ask. I really gotta get an official time here soon.
4. At subway the other day, as i wait for my subs to be made, the guy that just got his food and is
headed for his truck (an older fellow, 40's, pickup truck), walks right past his vehicle and
eyeballs several angles of the rieger. after 2-3 minutes (fun to watch, by the way), he heads back
to his truck, looks through the subway window, points to me as if asking if its mine, i nod proudly,
his pointing hand turns to a thumbs up, and hes off for home.
5. On the highway, i havent gotten a single headlight flash yet. I think most people dont realize
this is a scirocco in quick passing on the highway. I put the chromed vw symbol in the grille as to
try to aid them in notiging, but its radicalness may be fooling them or something. I havent passed
any other roccos or older vw's, only the 'new crowd', which dont understand how we are yet.
6. General city driving: kids/teenagers rubberneck out the back of vans. Guys in midlife crisis
drool, etc.
7. The honda crowd (what some of you are waiting to read): I'd say about 90% of the Charleston crowd
spend all their cash on the front spoilers, body pieces, etc. Apparently they dont have any cash
left to even paind said pieces. They really must not have any cash left for engine mods, cause i've
beat the pants off of anyone trying. A couple of days back im headed down a 3 lane road, slowly
going past a 'beefed up' honda, im at low rpm in 3rd (wide tranny). I hear the honda downshift and
floor it. I start laughing at pitiful sound of honda exhaust as i floor it in 3rd. My car at 2.5k
pulls on honda at 7k. I let 3rd ride all the way to 100, where the honda is 10 car lengths behind.
heheh.
8. Drive thru mcdonalds: 1st window acts as early warning system. every working/non working
employee, including manager, piles into second window as i pull up for food. i get the usual "what
is that" and "whats it do in the 1/4" questions. When are people gonna realize this thing isnt for
raw speed, heheh.
8. I'm headed down to the stealership here soon, i wonder what the sales reps will say. probably the
same thing that happens at mcdonalds, only they will all be wearing suit jackets instead of mcd's
outfits.
9. As far as people passing mine off as 'another silly honda', that hasnt happened at all. The
rieger kit is put together so well it simply makes it into a different car. No patch on parts, and
mine actually matches the body color (as opposed to the 90% cheezy hondas here).
Well, im off for now, gotta figure out why there isnt a vw dealer within an 80 mile radius. I dont
think im looking hard enough.
Scott, I hope this answered your question, heh.
al

Allyn Malventano, ET1(SS), USN
87 rocco 16v (rieger gto - green - 'der rocco' - restoration in progress)
87 jetta 8v wolfsburg 2dr (260k, still tight :)