Re: Ignition switch removal... ?

Morten - you want to replace the ELECTRICAL part  of the ignition switch, not the key part, and you don't need to remove the lock cylinder, at least if it's the same as my '78 Rabbit and '82 Scirocco. The electrical part is held in the back of the ignition switch housing by a screw that's hidden by the steering column and I've never been able to figure out any way to get at it without first removing the housing from the steering column. (If anyone has, please speak up!) It's been a while since I did this but as I recall you need to remove the lower plastic trim piece from the steering column, remove the steering wheel and turn signal/windshield wiper switches, then loosen the Allen bolt that clamps the ignition switch housing to the steering column, insert the key and turn it to release the steering lock, and slide (pry, hammer, attach team of Clydesdales, dynamite, or ???) the housing forward off the steering column. Be careful about banging on the housing because it's aluminum and breaks pretty easily. It might help to use a large screwdriver to pry apart the ears on the housing that the Allen bolt goes through. You might also have to drop the steering column by removing the four Allen bolts underneath it that hold it to the body. Once you have the housing off just remove the screw that holds the plastic electrical switch in place and it slides right out. I don't imagine it can be fixed, so be sure you have the replacement before you start.

HTH,
Curt

'86 Scirocco 8V
'82 Scirocco 1.8