Ignition switch removal... ?

Hi

I have traced tho problem with non working heater, wiper, washer and lights down to a yellow/black wire which runs from the ignition switch (The thing you stick your key into, and turns to start the engine :-) ) ...down to the relay/fuse plate. It ends in terminal E number 10. Well, this wire is supposed to run a current when the key os turned...it doesn't. The red "main" power line TO the ignition switch does...so it must be something inside the switch (Though this is unusual this is my best guess at an answer) Now...how do I remove the switch? My haynes manual tells me to pull out the locking plate and draw the switch out with the key in! - I can't find any locking plate so this is not an option... The drawing in the Haynes shows a drawing where there is a hole in the casting between the ignition switch and the cast that goes around the steering coloumn - the casting has NO holes...only for the ignition switch !?! - how many different models of these were there made?

Thanks !

Morten T Nielsen
"Euro lister"
76´Scirocco 1.6 TS (Carb)