just fixed idle (story)

list,
    recently it seemed as though my idle was a little rough and whenever I
floored it my car seemed alittle brash.  for example quick movement of the
gas pedal lead to excessive engine movement as though my motor mounts were
bad, only they are not.

After tinkering under the hood alittle (was going to adjust DPR but the anti
tampering plug is down to the steel bottom and the drill slipped and started
to eat my fuel distributor, decided to leave that alone) i noticed that the
air flow sensor plate potentiometer was disconnected.

What happened is this:
     I have an optima battery and it takes some creativity to mount it,  so
it was flush up against the air box and some how  poped the little metal
spring off,  so the pontentiometer came unplugged.  now that it is hooked
back up the idle problem went away and it does not bog down as much when
giving it full throttle.  It appears that i drove around with it
disconnected for a month or so, just drove about 500 miles across texas and
no problems.  wierd.

Question?
when removing the fuel distributor is there a gasket i need to purchase
first or something,  need to get the anti tampering screw out.  Any ideas?

later
Robert