Re: 5th gear conversion

>6. remove TO bearing housing which you just unbolted 6a. be careful not to
>yank hard on it as you "might" pull the rod
>that holds all the forks out of the trans too far and create a huge project
>for yourself. The rod has a spring attached to it and sits in the TO
>bearing housing.

I actually did this a few weeks ago. I swapped the .71 from a 7A to my 9A,
and while i was looking at the wear on the shift rod, I accidentally pulled
the shift rod you're talking about just a bit too far up, and heard a
falling sound inside the transmission... nooooooooo!

At least one of the forks that it held in had fell inside the transmission.
So not wanting to take the whole transmission apart, I started trying to jam
the rod back down... it didn't work.

What I ended up doing was to reach in the hole where the seletor shaft goes
in and wiggling the loose shift fork things around with my fingers while
trying to seat the shift rod down where it's supposed to be. After about 15
minutes of frustration, the forks aligned or something and the rod seated.
What a great feeling :]

So the moral is that you dont have to take the tranny apart if you are as
dumb as I and pull that rod out. I dont know about pulling it completely out
though, don't try it at home.

BTW I'm new to the list, Hello everyone :]
(I used to be on it like 4 years ago (remember Mannix?) but i dont think
anyone remembers by now)

Kevin F
81 S