Re: Need help w/a broken stud pls: Solution (LONG)

Here is how you fix it for free (almost).  I have done what you have done and it is a very easy fix.  All you need is an old, used up, good for nothing strut bearing with the studs still in it.

Put the bearing (with the good studs) in a vice and carefully pound out the stud from the  top with a BFH (big f*cking hammer).  Be careful not to hit it too hard because you don't want to damadge the threads.  If you are smart, thread a nut onto the stud that you will be removing.  That way when you poke it free from the strut bearing you can remove the nut by unscrewing it from the stud, effectively chasing the threads and re-straightening them as you remove the nut.
With the good stud in hand, you will notice that the base of the stud is flanged, and the flange has little ridges in it.  This is what holds the stud in the strut bearing.

Put a punch on top of the busted wheel bearing stud in your car and apply BFH to knock the broken stud out.  Take the good stud, and reaching from below, through the wheel well, feed the stud up through the hole in the strut bearing.  Thread a nut onto the stud and tighten it all the way down.  This will pull the stud into the bearing and seat it.  When you remove the nut, the stud should stay in the bearing.

You are done, problem solved.  Now all you ahve to do is locate some spent strut bearings and have at it.  If you can't find any let me know.  I might have an extra stud I can mail you.  Got any questions, contact me.

Victor F.

>>> "Jamal Latrell" <jamal_latrell@angelfire.com> 07/30 2:38 PM >>>
Hello,
I have an 87 8v and I did a very stupid thing the other day.

I took off the front upper strut brace for painting. While putting it back I overtightened one of the studs and it broke in half.

Do I have to replace the whole strut bearing or can I just juryrig it with a similar sized bolt. I noticed in the wheel well that the stud had a funny head. I think it countersinks into the frame. If I don't get the same kind of bolt, will the head be an issue?

thanks a lot & I hope you don't mind me puttin this out here, Peter.

You are too far away to come down for something like this, and it should be a relatively easy fix for me.

Would the stealerships have the stud?

thx again

Get 250 color business cards for FREE!