No spark in 16v conversion

Ok. After 6 hours in the garage.... (Jetta 16v motor in an '81. Wiring is
all new from another newer car.)

I only get an occassional spark. Some times bright & loud, then later just a
pop...

I have 12v to the coil and to the Ignit control unit. I can see the pulse
from the hall effect sensor.
I have grounded every ground line I can find
I also have 12v on the other side of the coil and the output of the coil is
also 12v.
I am going to keep trying all night if I have too.

Greatful for any ideas to check.

Daughter is on visitation (ughh) and the car is calling me....
I have concidered installing a hoist to raise it to the roof, but no
thunderstorms are predicted.... (Igor, is that you?)

Julie Macfarlane
(Web Developer/Project Manager)
Albany NY
'81 8v-FF (FronkenMom)