[Q] - Restoring Mk.1 Euro Bumpers

I'm in the process of restoring my recently acquired Mk.1 euro bumpers.

What is a safe way to remove the old bumper paint from the bumper covers?

Someone has tried to paint them and it has a lot of runs and parts where
there's bumps in the paint, from excessive spray.

I picked up a can of Bulldog Adhesion Promoter, and a can of Plasti-Kote
Bumper Black.

Bulldog also has a paint remover for bumpers and flexible plastic,
but I'm a little nervous about using it on these practically
irreplaceable bumper skins.
Has anyone here used the Bulldog plastic paint remover?

So far I've taken apart the front bumper, straightened the crossmember,
blasted and POR'd the brackets, and reassembled tt using stainless
hardware.

The rear bumper is still all apart, and the one inner plastic support 531
807 323A had a bunch of cracks in it.
I've been using a "crack" lighter, to melt the plastic, and a brass punch
(by hand), to make the edges come together.
The part is now rigid again, and I'm going to drip P-tex (ski base
repair) all over the mends for reinforcement.

I called the dealer and he can get me a 531 807 323 (without the "A"),
but since it is a discoutinued piece, they won't take it back if it's
wrong.

Does anyone know if the 531 807 323A and the 531 807 323 are functionally
the same?

I also picked up a can of Dupli-Color Truck Bed Coating for the carpet
less floor in my GTI.
The semi-flat black finish is very similar to the Bumper Black spray, but
it is thicker and abrasion resistant.
I'm thinking that this stuff might be ideal for bumpers, since it is much
tougher.

The rear bumper plasic sliders that are plasti-welded to the inside of
the bumper skins need to be replaced...
I was going to sacrifice a set of Mk.1 US bumpers, since the slider width
is the same, any other ideas?

Any ideas or information will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Peter - http://thescirocco.com - Techtonics Discount Dealer -  Bear,
Delaware

'79 Scirocco 16V "Retro"
'83 GTI "Caged Rabbit"
'84.5 Scirocco "Oddball"
'84 GTI
SciRollers: '79 White Champagne Edition, '84 Black, '88 Red