reverse question

The Rocco I have now has this problem with reverse (you can see my "ad" on
the scirocco.org website) it only goes for about a foot and then stops moving
and makes a grinding noise, some people from scirocco.org told me it was the
shift linkage/bushings that need to be fixed.  Just wanted to get more info
on the subject.  If anyone has a very in-depth explanation I'm willing to
hear it and would be grateful.  I am a novice when it comes to cars and I
have no idea where to begin looking for the bushings.  Thanks in advance.