ECM Question <non-scirocco>

I have a friend who has a 95 Golf with the 2 liter in it. The car is having
trouble with the electronic control module and I know if a yard with a
couple golfs in it, that are relatively whole. Whole in that they still
probably have this in it. I was looking under the tray where the module for
both my Scirocco and Jetta are, but didn't see anything on either side. I
looked on the ETKA CD and found the module, which is pictured to look like
my Jetronic modules, but it doesn't show where they are on the car. My
question is, am I just missing this thing under there or is it located
somewhere else? I am trying to save him $700 from a stealership and get it
probably a lot cheaper. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also is
there anything I need to look out for when grabbing one from another Golf?
Any possible differences that might exist? The dealer had a ECM from a 98
in it and it ran awesome, so I am thinking just about any A3 of 95 or newer
would be okay.

Thanks,
Chris