Re: [tech] engine swap woes-> auto to 5 speed? HELP!

At 09:11 PM 7/22/01 -0400, Michael Abatzis wrote:
>ok, so the swap (1.8 16v-->2.0 16v) was going smoothly. got the old engine
>out, separated the tranny, and... crap. i have to take the clutch apart and
>switch to the new block. ok, i just wish i had bought a new clutch before
>starting*. hmmm. the mounting plate is different on the new engine. but
>everything _seemed_ to fit together ok.  then the crank wouldn't turn when
>it was back together. after many hours of cursing, modifying,
>disassemble/reassembling, figured out that the new block was an automatic.
>so i have this carrier plate (torque converter apparently mounts to it) on
>the new block that appears to be one piece with the crank. i couldn't put my
>old transmission cover plate onto the new block because this carrier plate
>was in the way. as a result, i don't have enough clearance for the flywheel
>when the tranny is reassembled (it hits the back of the case).

This carrier plate must be unbolted and removed.  Then your pressure plate
(I would buy a whole new kit, myself) bolts on it's place.  You should really
use new bolts with loctite on the PP.  As far as the blocks are concerned
there are no differences between auto and standard.  The  plate can be a
pain in the ass to remove; I've done two myself.

John C. Worden
Bucksport, Maine

'98 Dakota 4x4-
'86 Scirocco 8V-
'81 Scirocco 2.0 16V - Needs an oil pump gear
'78 Scirocco Bronzish Gold color, 4 speed.