Re: [tech]: engine swap q's

First, congrats.

On Wed, 18 Jul 2001 15:38:00 -0400 "Michael Abatzis"
<abatzis2@hotmail.com> writes:
> okay. so tomorrow's the big day. found a hoist to use for free (woo
> hoo!),
> and i'm getting excited. i'm swapping a 1.8 16v (110k miles) for a
> 2.0 16v
> (90k), but i'm keeping my 1.8 head. questions:
> 1. just removed the head from the 2.0 L (real easy, i hope the rest
> of the
> swap is like this!). lots of carbon on the head and pistons. how do
> i clean
> it? should i? i expect the head on the 1.8 will be the same, but
> we'll see
> if the money i spend on "super" gas and fuel system cleaner is doing
> anything...

Try a two stage fuel cleaner. First try a cleaner that raises combustion
temps so you can get the carbon outta there. The use another type that
actually "cleans" the injectors. DO NOT attempt to clean the pistons now.
Carbon can get down between the grooves and rings and before too long,
your back into it to replace rings.

> 2. i think i can remove just the inner cv's from the transaxle w/o
> removing
> the whole axle and dealing with ball joints and camber bolts and
> alignments,
> but i've never tried. can i?

It is possible, but it'll probably be easiest if you either have a friend
to pull the joints outta the way, or install the block and THEN the
transmission. Wedging them both in there at the same time may prove to be
a problem. The exhaust manifold may be a bigger hassle than you think
too.

> 3. anything i should do "while i'm in there"? this is my daily
> driver, and i
> don't have a lot of time to do this, so we're talking "replace
> timing belt"
> or "replace easily accessible seal X" rather than "replace valves
> and
> guides".

The passenger side motor mount! Clutch! Rear main seal! Front seals (3 +
'O' ring)! T-belt & tensioner!

> 4. any hints or suggestions? i've been looking for a step-by-step
> website
> for a while, but haven't found one. is there any links page that
> contains
> just people's tech procedures? i know there are good links on .org,
> but i
> don't have time to wade through them all looking for tech stuff.
> TIA,
> -michael
> 88 soon to be 2.0L 16v scirocco

I doubt you'll find a site explaining the swap in enough detail for you
pick out what steps you want to follow. One thing you may not have
known...knock the alignment dowel out of the 2.0 block on the drivers
side so you can fit the 1.8 head on it. You'll have to use the remaining
dowel and a head bolt on the opposite side to align the two to the
gasket.

> ooh! ooh! as an added bonus, i'll let everyone know first hand how
> my
> pistons and valve fared from my broken timing belt incident of 6
> months ago.
> the compression's good, but who knows what i'll find...

Depending on your rpm's at the time of the break, there's a chance you'll
find nothing.