Blue wire update!

List,
 Well it turns out that when i first taking off my alternator to fix my
frozen ac compressor, i forgot to dissconnect the battery, STUPID i know. But
i guess what i did was short out the ground post where that blue wire
connects to. I know this becuase i had everything hooked up, except that
wire, but i ran an extra peice of wire off it and touched it to the body of
the alternator and PRESTO, the light in the dash came right on.
    So does anyone know exactly whats behind that post?? can it be fixed more
cheaply than buying a new alternator? thanks

Aaron
88 scirocco 16v
Sacramento, CA