[Mk1] Frustrating charging problem....help!!!!

A while back, the alternator in my '81 went out on me.  I replaced it
with a rebuilt alternator I got from a local rebuilder, and I never did
have good luck with it (I installed a voltage gauge along with the
alternator).  I'd consistantly run 12-13 volts with no load (lights,
radio, etc), and with load (especially lights), I'd run 9-11 volts.  I
had the alternator checked, and it turned out the diode was bad, so I
returned it and bought a new (professionally rebuilt) alternator from
the local parts place.  But I'm still having problems, I never put out
more that 13 volts, and less when load is applied.  RPMs don't seem to
matter, although higher revs sometimes yeild less voltage.  This morning
on the way to work, my battery light came on (sometimes it glows at
night, but it never comes full on) and my voltage gauge read appx.
10.5v.  I checked the battery (12v with the car not running, 10.5 with),
I'm really at a loss.  The battery is only a year old, I'm planning on
swapping my '84s battery into my '81 to see if it makes any difference.
The only things I've done to my car as far as electrical work are add
side blinkers from an Audi 4000 and fog lights from a Porche 914 (wired
into my parking lights).

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Nate