Re: [Tech] Warpig misbehaving: ignition fault suspected

On Thu, 12 Jul 2001 15:28:04 -0700 "Scott Williams"
<scwillia@genuity.com> writes:
> Gang, my CIS-basic plus knock sensor equipped Rabbit GTI has a
> serious ignition miss that is getting worse by the day. What began as
an
> occasional buck or two every now and then has become a series of power
cuts.
> The problem lasts only a fraction of a second per instance but each
miss
> may occur within a second or so of the next. Then things will feel
> normal for five minutes only for it to lapse back.
>
> My headlights and voltmeter operate/indicate normally. So, the
> problem doesn't seem to be the charging system. However, the tach drops
in
> exact time to the miss/bucking. Fuel does not seem to be the problem as

> the car backfires after the longer misses -indicating that gasoline is
> reaching the cylinders. Then again, I suspect that there may be a hole
in my fuel
> filler neck. Could this be a factor?
No...

If the tach drops right to 0, it's ignition related.

> -anyone have any ideas? Maybe it is the coil or ignition box? The
> fact that the tach drops in synch with the power outages seems critical
> diagnosing this problem. Anyway, the motor runs *strong* except for
this
> problem.
> Thanks.

My VW Pickup did the same exact thing...

It was the pickup coil in the distributor.

HTH!

Peter - http://thescirocco.com -  Bear, Delaware

                                                '79 Scirocco 16V "Retro"

'83 GTI "Caged Rabbit"
'84.5 Scirocco "Oddball"
'84 GTI
SciRollers For Sale, or For Parts: '79 White Champagne Edition, '84
Black, '88 Red