Tachometer not working, help!

On a very hot day, about 10 days ago, my tach did not function when I
started the car. After driving for 10 minutes I restarted the car a few
times and the tach started working.
Since then, it has been intermittent. It may start ok and then wake up
randomly, then die again, etc.

I disassembled the instr. cluster. Connection from the harness in the
interior of the car all the way to the pin that gives current to the tach is
ok. The printed circuit board of the tach itself looks in good shape, all
connections are fine, all the way up to the "spring" which actually rotates
the tach. Don't know, however, if the circuitry (resistors, capacitors, and
inductors) between the signal to the cluster and the signal to the actual
"spring" is ok, the resistor values seem standard, but I have not way to
test the capacitors and the inductors. So, that is one possibility, but it
seems very unlikely, given the intermittent nature of the problem.

Checked the hall sender connection at the distributor and despite some
amount of oil (which I wiped) it looks ok (have yet to check the continuity
between the hall sender connector and the cluster itself).

I believe the problem is close to the cluster --I once slapped the dashboard
and the tach started working, too much to be a coincidence.

Any ideas? Anyone have this problem?

Thanks,

Elias