Anybody Install Momo Shift Knob before????

I got my new momo knob today but I'm unsure on one thing with the
installation.  Basically the rubber cap that goes on. Do I put that on and
shove the knob on so it goes all the way inside the knob and then put the
scews in to clamp on the the stick itself, or does the knob just sit on the
rubber cap and the screws clamp into the rubber cap?  If the last way is
correct then I have to cut my shift stick.  Any help would be appreciated.
The included instructions don't show how far into the knob the rubber cap
goes.  Thanks.