Re: exhaust replacement and 16v sighting (long, sorry)

CHRISTOPHER FRYER wrote:

> alright, i finally got a rocco! (for $700 oh yeah!)

WooHoo!

> its an 85 wolfsburg
> edition stock 8v as far as i know. but it needs shocks and a muffler and a few
> other little things. now i have never replaced a muffler on an a1 car, ive
> done the exhaust on my 87 vanagon though. so since its 16 years old, should i
> just replace the whole exhaust? or should i just do the muffler and check the
> other pipes while im down there.

Only replace if it gets you something. Reliability, performance,
hopefully both. You can get an Aluminized 'Cat-Back' system for $150
appox. If the mid section is OK, then leave it till later when you
_want_ to change it all. Taking the old stuff off usually involved
cutting the section over the axle, but installation (of quality brands)
is easier than that.

> if i go the whole exhaust route should i go
> for performance? how much is that gonna run me? and do they sell stock specs
> parts?

Sure you can get stock replacements but it's a great opportunity to
upgrade. Prob don't want larger than 2" diameter, bigger will reduce
performance on a normal motor.

> sorry about all these questions but i just need to get this done so i
> can find out what else to replace (too loud to hear anything else if there is
> anything else) its got around 110,000 miles on it (though odometer is broke,
> anyone on the list fix these?) so this is the prev owners guess + 10,000 just
> to make sure. so what should i look to replace on my mk2.

Motor mounts. Injector seals. Braided rubber hose bits on the vacuum
lines. Thermostat. ALLLLLL the FLUUUUUIDS.

> i dont need it as a
> daily driver untill late august, should i replace the head gasket? valves?

I wouldn't touch the head gasket unless you had a problem. Leave well
enough alone. Valves? YES, who knows when they have been last adjusted.
(1985 8v Roc have solid lifters?)

> thanks so much
> chris fryer
>
> --

Chris, glad to assist. Couple of things out the door- don't use Silicon
base products on the rubber/vinyl, get something like Klasse (or sim).
Try Forever Black on the trim. H&R makes some good springs, Konis or
Bils top notch shocks, Boge decent ones. I'd pull the front and rear
seats and the back carpet and stuff and vacuum like crazy. And don't
forget to rub the baby down with a waxy rag.  8])

TBerk