RE: The Cheapest Sway bar! (finally)

 Ron and I will eventually put together a better web page for this bar...
It's not rocket science, but there is definitely some good thought and planning
that we put into this one...
 As for material, we found that your local Home Depot or Quality Farm and Fleet
can supply you with the grade 8 hardware, but they do not have the correct
piece measurements for this application.  You can look, but don't say that we
didn't warn you... You will need to find an industrial steel supply...

More details to come...keep the thoughts going.

Ben

--- Patrick Bureau <pbureau@home.com> wrote:
> Hum... to find the materials now.... wonder if Home Depot can get me
> piece like it. (GRIN)
>
> I noticed that the Michael abatzis version is round (thus requiring
> additional hardware (read bushings) to make it hold in place properly,
> I am wondering if a round bar with a plate arc-welded on the end would
> provide something stronger than the flat c shaped piece you used (Yeah
> I know I am speaking my mind a little too much probably over-analyzing
> the issue at hand (simple, and functional, not to forget cheap.)
>

> Two part answer:
> 1) No, not really, the bar would still be subject to
> the exact same stresses whether it's bolted in the
> middle or not.  They'd be extraneous.
>
> 2) Impossible, since this doesn't bolt to the
> crossmember but the squared (leading) ends of the
> trailing arm.  There's nowhere to bolt to in the
> middle!
>
> Ron
>
> --- Patrick Bureau <pbureau@home.com> wrote:
> > I do Love it, but I have a question, considering the
> > amount of torque
> > the car can apply on the sway bar
> > would it not be prudent to add 2 bolts on the middle
> > part of the bar
> > (I realize this could be a very stupid question)
> > but I am just wondering...

=====
Benjamin Harder
86 Scirocco 16v