Re: Getting More HP

> ok here goes. Im lookin to get around 170 - 200 HP outta my stock scirocco
> 16v. Im thinking 2L Block with 1.8L 16v head. Motronic Fuel System with
> Chip. Cams ( i dont know what i should go with ). That all i can think of.
> Suggestions would be very helpful and appreciated. What kind of cams should
> i go with? thanks

2k, then my chart at the bottom of the page), I spun up to just over 141hp
at the wheels.  Using popular methods of computing flywheel hp (coast down
measured like 18%, standard VW published loss is about 15%, and Puma Racing
rule of thumb is 10% + 10hp for FWD chassis) I was in the neighborhood of
165ish HP.  I've since added a Supersprint header and done a no-a/c conversion,
which between the two, I'd expect to be putting down 150-155hp to the wheels
now.

Anyway, my engine is a 2L block, .5mm overbored to 2008cc.  Balanced motor.
Balanced and lightened flywheel / PP.  Ported 1.8L head.  Decked .030.
Schrick 260 cams with adjustable gear (_still_ futzing with it after years!).
Motronic conversion with Garrett chip.  Techtonics midpipes, Magnaflow
muffler.  K&N of course, and in a mildly drilled box.  Pulls to 7k+ easily
in 1-4 gears (short box with 3.94).

There are only basically three things left to try on my engine.  Velocity
ported throttlebody, Unorthodox Racing pulleys, and a fatter exhaust cam
(maybe a Schrick 268).  Oh, and perpetually playing with the cam timing,
ignition timing and fuel mixture. :)

That's about as far as 'normal' mods will ever get it.  After that would
come something like mass airflow sensor conversion, more sophisticated
engine management, and finally forced induction (someone find me an
old Autotech 16v supercharger kit, would ya?!).

In short, speed costs money.  How fast do you want to go?

On my short list, would be the 2L block, 260ish cams, TT racing DP or
SS header, with good TT exhaust, 1.8L worked (ported / decked) head, and
well tuned and properly enriched CIS-E or Motronic.  That should get
you in the 160-170hp range depending at state of tune.  This motor
will also be a good non-peaky street driver, with few 'dull' spots IMO.
Getting more adgressive cams will result in better top end power, and
current 16v tuning wisdom states that a best-of-both-worlds approach
can be had with a 260ish+/- intake with a more agressive 268ish+
exhaust cam. (decent low end, nice mid, with a strong high end).

==Brett