Re: Tech - Radiator FLush

brian,
sorry about not replying to your pers email, i've been in and out here, missed it at first.
purple power is what you need, do it with the radoator off the car, much easier.
you'd be surprised how much rust comes out of there.
i have pasted my original message below this one, so have fun, long read.

Allyn Malventano, ET1(SS), USN
87 rocco 16v (rieger gto - green - 'der rocco' - restoration complete)
87 jetta 8v wolfsburg 2dr (260k, still tight :)

You guys arent gonna believe this,
    I followed Chris' advice and dumped some "purple power" into my radiator. 50/50 mix. Shake well.
Dump on sidewalk, and ooh, whats that, the entire sidewalk has turned rust colored. I repeat again,
just as much rust once again. One more time for good measure, and finally the rust dies off. I
couldnt believe this purple stuff! It got all of that crap out of it, even after last nights episode
of draino and carbeurator cleaner (which i _thought_ had gotten it pretty darn clean).
    I slap everything back together, fill it up, (using this special water additive i got from
advanced for $25, came in a black square can looking thing). Start er up and walk away. I want to
see just how hot this thing will get. after 15 minutes or so i realize the fan has yet to kick on.
water temp is very close to the top line, oil temp at 115, and the water cap relief is starting to
lift. Holy crap, what the heck is going on here!
    Right at that moment, the fan *finally* kicks on. after being on for a mere 10-15 seconds, its
already blowing cold air from the radiator, adn it promptly turns back off. What the heck, the damn
thing is overheating and the fan is kicking off after 30 seconds!!*&^$)*(&. its as if theres no flow
through it, i think to myself. I get in the car and put rpm at 2000, fan kicks on after 5 seconds,
fan stays on much more than 30 seconds as it was doing before. temp IMMEDIATELY starts screaming
down. Takes a mere 3 minutes to get back down to the led (yes, it actually went DOWN). A few more
minuts and oil temp is at 105. All of this and i was still sitting in my driveway!
    Now i have my problem narrowed down to coolant flow through radiator at idle condition only. Not
to mention my radiator is working a hell of a lot better than i've ever seen a 16v radiator work,
well, when its got flow through it that is. I think that additive might actually do something to
help, but with or without it, i still have crappy flow at idle.
    Then it dawns on me, as i listen to the harley-type exhaust. My damn idle is too low. Thats why
the fan didnt kick on till the damn engine went critical. Such low flow through it, the water was
getting cooled below the trip point of the sensor before it made contact with it. As for the idle, I
thought it was at 800 as indicated on the tach, turns out it was at 600. I raise it to 1000 by tach,
temp drops to slightly above top of led, oil temp hangs at 105.
    Whew!, idle overheat problems gone, now to check how well my newly reborn cooling system works
on the move. Sitting at the now nice and low idle temperature, i start driving. After going about 5
miles water gauge is already at center of led, and oil is down to about 95c. This is just awesome!
This is all with the STANDARD thermostat and fan switch. I cant wait to see how well this thing runs
when i get my hands on those 2 things.
    I must say im pretty happy now. I hate running a 16v hot. Damn things will go forever if you can
just keep em cool. The only true tests that remain is getting on the highway (where mine prev. ran
at 110c minimum at 100 mph, on the way to cincy even). Also it isnt a terribly hot day right now, so
i suppose thats the other test i still have to run.
oh well, enough babbling, catch ya later guys.
al

Allyn Malventano, ET1(SS), USN
87 rocco 16v (rieger gto - green - 'der rocco' - restoration in progress)
87 jetta 8v wolfsburg 2dr (260k, still tight :)