Opinions needed, fire away

I was recently given, by a fellow lister, an 85 8v which is in great general
shape but will soon need a heart transplant. To those of you who've been
down the swap road, I ask you this: Should I rebuild a donated blown 16v and
make the conversion? Or opt for a brand new Audi 2 liter 8v installed for
about $2200? Can I actually get a decent HiPo rebuild for that price
considering the donor engine is a freebie? Keep in mind, I'm not trying to
build any race car here, just something that will give me a little, "best of
both worlds" fun and dependable.
Thanks in advance,
Jon Palm