TECH: Pwr window grief (was Re: What is the NAME of your car?)

I'm afraid that after fighting with Carrots' lazy driver's side power
window (and eventually removing it in favour of a manual one, which
involved changing the door panel, which was trashed and needed repair
and...!) my current name for the poor girl would not be fit for this
public forum.

After removing (what a job!) and disassembling, cleaning and regreasing
the gearbox and cable assembly for the power regulator, and then
reinstalling it in the car, I was unable to get the motor to raise the
window (kept overheating and cutting out.)  However, out of the car, the
regulator slid up and down with speed, and a reasonable amount of power
(ie it took some force to slow or stop the regulator as it went up and
down.)

It was only when I installed the manual regulator that I discovered the
problem - I was unable to align the window guides and the regulator such
that the window would go up and down freely.  It binds in more than one
spot on the way up and then on the way down again.

I've adjusted the slides as much as I can every which way (even followed
the Bentley procedure) to no avail.  In the end, out of frustration, I
lubricated the guides with a soap-like compound that has helped somewhat.
The window is still stiffer than it should be though.  All the guide
inserts are seated correctly, and are not deformed.

Although I've since reassembled the door (including a new shower curtain,
which was not replaced when the door was repaired at some point in the
past) in retorspect I'm thinking that I should have used the guides from
the donor car, in the even that one of my guides is bent or distorted in
some way.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem, or was it just a bad hair
day for my car?

Also, what do people use for fastening shower curtains (or their
replacements - I used a piece of 6mil clear poly film.) if the factory
adhesive is missing or no longer sticky?

Drew

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca