Re: 4K tranny - .75 or .80 5th??

In a message dated 1/23/01 8:56:59 AM Pacific Standard Time,
brett@shell.netacc.net writes:

I heard this also, and when I got the .75 gear, looking at it you could tell
it was a slightly 'finer' cut gear, but didn't appear weak because of it
though.  I have heard of very high HP cars stripping gears occasionally,
and all of our cars probably chip a reverse gear (a straight cut non-syncho
mesh gear), but how much torque could we possibly be putting on 5th?  Enough
to cause helical cut mesh gears to break off?  Seemed an unlikely enough
occurance to me, I'm not worried about it, especially because it's 5th...not
one of the gears I'm likely to _really_ bang around anyway.  I'll be the
first
to report it if I blow out my 5th gear though! :)

I have usually heard of actual problems in like turbo cars, or when people
try to tow something uphill in 5th gear.

Mike
http://www.geocities.com/vwmikel - trust me, a replacement is on the way!
'84-Arkay Turbo Rabbit GTI
'84-Rabbit GTI - future DCI drag car
'77-Rabbit - project
'80-Scirocco S - (um... to be:1.9L crossflow, turbo, 6 speed, widebody?)